Acting U.S. attorney general warns insurrectionists against further attacks – About Your Online Magazine


WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Acting US Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen has warned potential domestic terrorists against new attacks, while President-elect Joe Biden is preparing to take office after pro-Trump rebels attacked the US Capitol this week. last.



a man in a suit and tie: FILE PHOTO: FILE PHOTO: Department of Justice makes announcement in Washington


© Reuters / YURI GRIPAS
ARCHIVE PHOTO: ARCHIVE PHOTO: Justice Department makes announcement in Washington

In a video released overnight, Rosen urged the public to provide any hints about possible attacks and other threats before Biden’s inauguration on January 20, while federal police prepare for more potential violence with more protests planned ahead.

“I want to send a clear message to anyone who is thinking about violence, threats of violence or other criminal conduct: we will have no tolerance for any attempts to interrupt the peaceful transfer of power”, including “attempts to forcibly occupy government buildings” , he said.

“There will be no excuse for violence, vandalism or any other form of illegality.”

About 15,000 National Guard soldiers, including some armed members, were sent to Washington, D.C., to protect the city before Biden took office, with new fences and other security measures engulfing the U.S. Capitol area. Some Congressional leaders have also called for rebels who invaded the Capitol to be placed on no-fly lists.

Rosen’s warning was posted online hours after federal prosecutors held their first press conference almost a week after the January 6 attack, when US lawmakers and President Donald Trump’s vice president Mike Pence met to certify Biden’s victory that left five people dead and lawmakers running for cover.

US police have opened criminal investigations against more than 170 people who broke into the Capitol building and plan to charge some of the most serious criminals with aggression and seditious conspiracy, they said on Tuesday.

“These efforts remain active and will continue until justice is done,” said Rosen in his comments. “There is much more to come. Evildoers will be held responsible.”

Former FBI director Andy McCabe said it was not clear why Rosen and other American officials took so long to speak publicly, or why Rosen’s video was posted overnight, raising more questions about how the federal police responded to the attack. of the predominantly white mafia last week compared to the most diverse Black Lives Matters protests last summer.

“It’s inexplicable,” McCabe told CNN on Wednesday, noting that Rosen and FBI director Christopher Wray have not yet answered questions from the press since the January 6 attack.

(Reporting by Susan Heavey; Editing by Steve Orlofsky)

Keep reading

Paula Fonseca