Man charged with first degree robbery after brandishing knife, stealing over $200 worth of product from Weis Market | Journal-news – About Your Online Magazine

MARTINSBURG – A Martinsburg man was charged with first-degree theft after brandishing a gun at Weis Market employees when they confronted him with about $ 200 worth of stolen goods.

According to a press release issued by the Martinsburg Police Department, the officers were dispatched on Friday at 12:37 pm. to Weis Market at 1102 N. Queen St. in response to what was initially reported as theft.

The statement said the suspect was described as a white man wearing a black jacket and a camouflage hat, with a large amount of stolen meat products hidden in his backpack.

According to the note, while the police responded to the area, it was reported by dispatch that the man brandished a knife at store employees and fled the area with the store’s loss prevention officer walking a short distance, traveling south on North Queen Street.

The release said MPD officials managed to intercept the suspect in the North Queen Street and Molar Avenue area, where he was immediately taken into custody, and testimony was obtained from the store manager and the loss prevention officer.

Shortly after the suspect’s arrest, the video of the store could be seen, the statement said.

According to the statement, after these statements and videos, the man was identified as Steven R. Wilkerson, 53, who was charged at Berkeley County Magistracy Court with first-degree theft by patrolman R Fritz.

The statement said the video and statements show that Wilkerson hid $ 207.80 in store goods in his backpack and then passed the point of sale when a store manager and loss prevention officer who was following Wilkerson inside the store store, approached the front yard to find out about the stolen goods.

The statement said that both store leaders identified themselves and asked about the stolen goods when Wilkerson reached out towards his right ankle and pulled out a “hunting style” knife “quickly and threateningly”.

The statement said employees had to jump back to avoid the knife, at which point Wilkerson fled the area on foot, and the aforementioned officials followed him while maintaining telephone communications with an emergency dispatcher.

According to the statement, the case is considered closed with imprisonment.

Paula Fonseca