BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Colgate No. 2 and West Point Army No. 4 protected the home court and advanced, while No. 6 Bucknell and No. 9 Loyola Maryland found it difficult to advance to the PenFed Credit Union Patriot men’s basketball semifinals League 2021 on Wednesday night.
The Raiders will receive No. 6 Bucknell in a rematch for the 2018 and 2019 Patriot League men’s basketball championship games. No. 9 Loyola Maryland will travel to No. 4 Army West Point in the semifinals. Wednesday’s game will be the second time that the Greyhounds and the Black Knights will face each other in the League championship. Loyola Maryland won the previous meeting, 82-79, in the first round of 2018. Both games in the semifinal round will be broadcast nationally on the CBS Sports Network.
Spectators are not allowed in any of the host venues during the entire 2021 PenFed Credit Union Patriot League Men’s Basketball Championship.
2021 PenFed Credit Union Patriot League men’s basketball championship
|MEETING||MALE BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP | ROUND | ROOF||TIME (all ET times)|
|Wednesday, March 10||No. 9 Loyola Maryland at No. 4 West Point Army | Semifinals | CBSSN||17:30.|
|Wednesday, March 10||No. 6 Bucknell at the 2nd Colgate | Semifinals | CBSSN||7:30 pm|
|Sunday, March 14||2021 PenFed Credit Union championship game | CBSSN||Noon|
DO NOT. 9 LOYOLA MARYLAND GREYHOUNDS (5-10, 4-10 PL, 1-5 South) 76, NO. 1 MIDSHIPMEN NAVY (15-3, 12-1 PL, 7-0 South) 68
Alumni Hall / Annapolis Noon (ESPN +)
BOX OF POINTS
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Second-year striker Santi Aldama made a one-two with 15 points and 12 strokes to lead No. 9 Loyola Maryland to a frustrating victory over Navy No. 1, 76-68, in the Patriot League quarterfinals Championship.
* Aldama and the Greyhounds overtook the best Mids’ by 34-26, scoring 44 points in the painting and 19 points for a second chance.
* Junior guard Jaylin Andrews led four double-digit Greyhounds with 17 points. Second-year point guard Cam Spencer, playing his third game of the season, finished with 10 points, five rebounds and seven assists, and striker Alonso Faure contributed 13 points to the Greyhounds’ victory.
* Junior point guard Greg Summers scored 21 points from 9 out of 12 shots for aspiring half-hands, who played their third straight game without First Team All-Patriot League senior point guard Cam Davis and junior striker Richard Njoku.
* Second-year point guard Patrick Dorsey added 12 points and four rebounds for the Mids.
* The Greyhounds are the first seed No. 9 in the Patriot League men’s basketball championship to win a quarterfinal game since 2016, when Holy Cross defeated No. 1 Bucknell. The Crusaders won the 2016 League title.
* Loyola Maryland will travel to face No. 4 from the West Point Army in Wednesday’s semifinal round match.
RECOVERY: LOYOLA MARYLAND | MARINE
AT THE. 2 COLGATE RAIDERS (12-1, 11-1 PL, 11-1 North) 77, NO. 7 TERRIERS OF THE BOSTON UNIVERSITY (7-11, 6-10 PL, 3-9 North) 69
Cotterell Court / Hamilton, N.Y. 1:00 pm (ESPN +)
BOX OF POINTS
HAMILTON, N.Y. – Senior guards Jordan Burns and Jack Ferguson and junior guard Tucker Richardson scored 16 points each to lead No. 2 Colgate to a 77-69 victory over No. 7 at Boston University in a rematch of the 2020 Patriot League Men’s Basketball Championship Game.
* Burns, Patriot League Player of the Year, and Richardson took six rebounds and three assists each.
* Ferguson connected 6 out of 10 from the ground and 3 out of 5 beyond the arch to help Colgate’s bank overcome the Terriers’ bank unit, 24-2.
* Boston University senior guard Javante McCoy scored 27 points out of 11 out of 20 shots.
* Terriers’ senior striker Sukhmail Mathon double-double with 14 points and 14 rebounds, and junior striker Walter Whyte added 12 points for Boston University.
* Colgate will receive No. 6 Bucknell in Wednesday’s semifinal round match.
RECOVERY: BOSTON UNIVERSITY | COLGATE
DO NOT. 6 BUCKNELL BISON (5-6, 4-6 PL, 4-2 Central) 92, NO. 3 LEOPARDS LAFAYETTE (9-6, 9-5 PL, 5-1 Central) 84
Kirby Sports Center / Easton, Pa. 14h00 (ESPN +)
BOX OF POINTS
EASTON, Pa. – Striker John Meeks double-double with 31 points and 11 rebounds to lead No. 6 Bucknell in the 91-84 victory over No. 3 Lafayette in the quarterfinals of the Patriot League Championship.
* Meeks hit 10 out of 20 on the floor and 10 out of 12 on the free throw line in his third game of 30 points out of five games this season.
* Second-year guard Xander Rice finished with 19 points. Junior point guard Andrew Funk added 14 points and junior point guard Walter Ellis contributed 13 points, eight rebounds and four assists to help Bison advance to face No. 2 Colgate in the semifinals.
* Leopard senior guard Justin Jaworski scored the team’s best score by 28 points out of 11 out of 18 shots, including 4 out of 7 deep. He also gave five assists to the team.
* Senior guard E.J. Stephens added 22 points, while striker Neal Quinn and Leo O’Boyle scored 11 points each. Junior guard Tyrone Perry scored six points, four assists and four steals.
* Bucknell will travel to No. 2 Colgate for Wednesday’s semifinal match.
RECOVERY: BUCKNELL | LAFAYETTE
AT THE. 4 BLACK KNIGHTS FROM THE WEST POINT OF THE ARMY (12-8, 7-7 PL, 6-6 North) 89, NO. 5 AMERICAN EAGLES (4-6, 4-5 PL, 2-5 South) 66
Christ Arena / West Point, N.Y 15:00 (ESPN +)
BOX OF POINTS
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Striker Alex King reached a maximum of 20 points and nine rebounds to lead Army No. 4 West Point in the 89-66 victory over No. 5 American in the Patriot League Championship quarterfinals on Saturday.
*King connected on 8 of 11 from the ground to lead four Black Knights in double digits. Junior guard Josh Caldwell, the Patriot League’s defensive player of the year, scored 17 points and six rebounds.
*Senior striker Nick Finke and freshman guard Jared Cross added 14 and 10 points, respectively, to help the Army’s bank unit overcome the American’s 34-14 bank.
*Playmaker Jamir Harris led the Eagles with 18 points, while playmaker Stacy Beckton Jr. added 13 points, four rebounds and two steals.
*The Eagles started the game with a 5-0 run, but Caldwell’s layover at the 15:08 mark in the first half gave the Black Knights an advantage they would never lose.
*The Black Knights will receive the No. 9 Loyola Maryland at Wednesday’s semifinal round meeting.
RECOVERY: AMERICAN | ARMY WEST POINT
ABOUT PATRIOT LEAGUE
The Patriot League is in its fourth decade of academic and athletic achievement, continually demonstrating that student-athletes can excel both in academia and athletics, without sacrificing high standards. The Patriot League’s athletic success is achieved as long as its member institutions remain committed to its fundamental principle of admitting and training student-athletes who are academically representative of their class. Athletics participation in the Patriot League institutions is seen as an important component of a complete education.