Position: Just Neighbors seeks a passionate and talented attorney barred in Virginia to build and manage a Removal Defense Program, focusing on Unaccompanied Children in Virginia. The position will be based at our main office in Annandale, but requires travel. To apply, send a resume, cover letter, sample essay and (at least) three references to Dominique Poirier, Director of Legal Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Curriculum collection is open until June 30, 2021. Position to start on September 1, 2021.
Who we are: Just Neighbors (www.justneighbours.org) is a nonprofit immigration legal services office that provides immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in Virginia, DC and Maryland. Our dedicated legal team focuses almost exclusively on humanitarian-based immigration. Just Neighbors is a member site of National Justice For Our Neighbors, a national non-profit organization dedicated to providing quality immigration legal services across the country.
- Maintain a robust number of cases with a focus on SIJ, Asylum and Removal Defense. However, the case load may also include other types of humanitarian cases, including VAWA, U Visa, T Visa petitions, as well as a very limited number of family immigration cases. The job requires meeting with clients for initial consultations and preparing requests for submission to the USCIS (including the Arlington Asylum Office), as well as court proceedings and representation before EOIR, and court proceedings and court proceedings at the Community Court Virginia.
- Coordinate and attend legal immigration consultation clinics at night and / or weekends.
- Guide volunteer lawyers and pro bono lawyers through the submission and judgment of humanitarian requests.
- Make presentations to the community on immigration-related issues. Some presentations can be in Spanish or other languages besides English.
- Assist in the administrative tasks of the office.
- The position is based at our main office in Annandale, but requires travel to Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court throughout northern Virginia, as well as EOIR in Arlington and the Arlington Asylum Office.
- Active membership in Virginia Bar is required (or waiver capability)
- Requires fluency in Spanish
- Excellent attention to detail
- Hardworking, flexible, able to carry a heavy workload and work as a team member in a small, narrow office with people from all backgrounds
- Desire to collaborate with various stakeholders that relate to immigrants
- Strong public speaking skills
- Passion for immigration, human rights and the nonprofit sector
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Ability to work extensively with juvenile trauma victims and their families
- Valid driver’s license required
Salary $ 60,000 + conditional on experience and qualifications. Just Neighbors offers a flexible work environment as well as excellent benefits, including generous holidays, health insurance, professional liability insurance, paid bar and AILA fees and a retirement pension plan. Just Neighbors is an equal opportunity employer; we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better we are able to serve the customers we reflect. We encourage candidates from all religions, genders, races, ethnicities, ages, physical abilities and sexual orientations.